There are millions of women who beat cancer every year, so it’s worth making the effort to prevent it. So, you need to be aware of the common types of cancer and what to do to reduce their risks.
one: Cancer of the breast
Breast cancer has, without a doubt, the greatest impact on women. However, the most important thing is that it has the highest survival rate.
You probably know someone in your social circle who has breast cancer, or perhaps you’ve even lost a loved one to this terrible disease. But as science advances every day, more and more women are surviving. Breast self exams and mammograms are key factors in early detection. Here are a few signs and symptoms to keep in mind:
- Pain in the breast when applying pressure.
- A bump or nodule on the breast, nipple or armpit that wasn’t there previously.
- Nipple appears sunken.
- Change in breast size.
- Notice less mobility on one side when raising the arms.
- Skin irregularities: change in color, ulcers, orange peel-like texture.
two: Cancer of the skin
Here is one cancer that is also becoming an increasingly alarming reality. Staying out in the sun too much without the proper protection can cause the appearance of these malignant carcinomas. How do we identify a dangerous mole? Use the ABCDE rule:
- A is for asymmetry: a benign mole is always symmetrical
- B is for border: The edges should appear normal. If you see imperfections, see your dermatologist.
- C is for colour: Watch out for any brown, red, black or blue spots on the mole.
- D is for diameter: If your mole measures more than 6mm in size, see a doctor.
- E is for evolution: If you notice the mole has changed, see a doctor.
three: Cancer of the lungs
In the last few years, cancer of the lungs have become a worrisome incidence because it has one of the highest mortality rates in both men and women. And the largest percentage of these cases have their origins in nicotine.
Smoking or even being in places or situations where you’re exposed to smoke has serious consequences for your health. It’s definitely something to be avoided, as well as other bad habits that lead to many diseases. Quit for your own health and peace of mind and watch out for the following symptoms:
- Weight loss
- Persistent cough.
- Coughing up blood
- Chest pain when coughing.
- Whistling in the chest when breathing.
- Snoring at night.
- Feeling like you can’t get enough air.
three: Gynecological cancer
Ovarian and uterine cancer, as you know, fall under the category of gynecological cancers. Here, prevention and yearly check-ups are vital. All you have to do is make an annual appointment with your gynecologist to rule out any problems.
Some of the most frequently reported symptoms are listed below:
- Irregular/Heavy periods
- Constant, inexpiable tiredness.
- Unusual pelvic/abdomen pain accompanied with bloating or cramps.
- Unexplained weight loss
- Change in vaginal secretions, either darker in colour or with a strong odour. It’s a sign of a possible infection.
four: Cancer of the colon
Though this type of cancer is also common cancer found in women, but the rate is higher among men. What is the origin? What causes it? There are no conclusive answers to these questions. Almost all cancers of the colon start with non-cancerous polyps.
If they are not detected and removed early enough, they may become cancerous. It’s a risk, so it’s very important to be aware of the following symptoms:
- Frequent bouts of diarrhea and constipation. Abnormal, thin stools.
- Blood in the stool
- General discomfort, slow digestion and fatigue.
- Abdominal pain
- Inexplicable weight loss.
Read also: 6 Tips To Prevent Breast Cancer